A Journey Unfolding
Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Payin' it forward

I love wisdom. Wisdom helps you not make stupid choices. Wisdom is something that God highly recommends I search for and take hold of.

Proverbs 3 promises that I will be blessed and gain understanding when I find Wisdom because it is more profitable than treasures I can build up on this earth, like great wealth. Nothing compares with wisdom, exceeding all that this fleeting world holds so fiercely to. God says that long life is held within the reach of wisdom and that I can rest in pleasure and peace, walking along her paths. Wisdom is equitable to a tree of life and when I embrace that tree, I will be blessed.

It was through wisdom that God laid the foundations of this earth that we are spinning around on and by understanding that he set the heavens in their right position. It is by His knowledge, the deeps were divided and the clouds let drop the dew, to bring refreshment and life source to this world.

Because God has chosen to share with us - His wisdom - often in the form of revelation He gifts to us, I've determined that I would like to keep passing along some things that have intersected with my life, and have spoken a bit of wisdom to me.

A quote a week, that's what we're going for...

By the way, I also love to laugh, so things there may be some kinds of anecdotes and such that visit these pages as well. Funny quotes or stories, possibly zany, hopefully not irreverent.

The book of Proverbs also says that my heart, in a merry (what a fun word - merry) state, is good for my health. I would imagine that if my heart is in a good condition, then I might perhaps be more apt to bring healing to others.

So, this quote was recently shared in context of a leadership training session at my church and it is revolutionary to me.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

By Marianne Williamson from "A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"

Side note: This is often found on the Internet incorrectly stated as a quote by Nelson Mandela from his Presidential Inauguration Speech in 1994. Here is a link to an official African government site with Mandela's speech:

http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/history/mandela/1994/inaugpta.html

Now, I don't know Ms. Williamson. Maybe she's a deeply spiritual and right on woman and I could be in full agreement with her in all aspects of what she states, but then again, maybe not. I've never read any of her other material so I don't fully know where she stands, but I do know this - God cannot be boxed in. I am realizing that even when I subconsciously lean that way, perceiving God to be limited in how He chooses to work through people, doubting His judgments when He decided that He would use a fallible and finite creation to promote and accomplish His works on this earth, I find I that He is teaching me to expand those perceptions of His infiniteness and otherness.

I also know that in this instance, I say thank you to Marianne. The words she spoke I believe are God brushed and this particular bit o' "wisdom", impacts me, causing me to think differently about how I perceive myself. It brings me to ponder how I may more clearly look at myself through God's lens, how I am invited to interact with the world around me because of who He calls me to be and Who I belong to. This is sage advice Marianne, so yes, I say "thank you."


Maria at 10:37 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Wow - this totally encouraged me. Thanks Maria

2:56 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

Maria - you are a fantastic writer and let me add ... your wisdom, the wisdom from above in and through you is beautiful, peacemaking and loving! Here's to your journey and that which we are also walking together:)

go girl!

sheri

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home