A Journey Unfolding
Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Justifiable Justice



Isaiah 1:17, Message Version: Work for justice. Help the down-and-out. Stand up for the homeless. Go to bat for the defenseless.

Excerpts from Midnight in the City by Hal Donaldson

I descended into many of America's dark places, often putting myself at risk. But it was there that I rediscovered the heart of Jesus for the suffering and deceived; it was there that I found my way. In my determination to shield my eyes from the world's wickedness I had neglected those who needed to hear about Jesus. Jesus was grieved by some of the things He saw 2,000 years ago, I said to myself, but He endured so His message could advance in dark places. He didn't need to run from anything or anyone. Why did I?

Is there any part of the city you just won't go into? I asked.

No, Tina said firmly.

We can't give up any turf, Jack said. We can't relinquish any ground. If we do, we lose.

At daybreak, Jack and Tina dropped me off at the precinct before they made their final rounds. The sun's rays were knifing between skyscrapers and my eyes were fighting to stay open. It had been a long, but enlightening night. As I drove toward my hotel, I couldn't escape the sad reality that Christians had given up ground to the enemy. We've been content to watch the demise of our cities from a distance, I said to myself.

Many of us have viewed them as objects of God's judgment and punishment, and simply thrown up our hands. But God hasn't given up on them. We're the ones who've been unwilling to pay the price to bring light to these dark places. God wants to save these gang members. It is His heart to forgive and restore. None of them are beyond reach. If we give up on them, we're giving up on God.

Powerless, self-serving, play-it-safe religion was no longer an option for me. To be a follower of Christ meant I had to put my faith into action; I had to be on the front lines befriending people and rescuing them for eternity.


History, like God, is watching what we do. - Bono

The smallest good act today is the capture of a strategic point from which, a few months later, you may be able to go on to victories you never dreamed of. - C. S. Lewis

It is the duty of every Christian to be Christ to his neighbor. - Martin Luther

Faith is not belief. Belief is passive. Faith is active. - Edith Hamilton


Action we can take for the Invisible Children of Northern Uganda:

Get sponsored and join the October, 21st, 2006 GuluWalk in a city near you! Visit http://www.guluwalk.com/ for details.

Sign the World Vision Children Should Never Be Soldiers Declaration at http://www.seekjustice.org/

Registration for attending the Lobby Day in D.C. is closed, but for other info. go to: http://www.ugandalobbyday.com/

Click here for phone numbers to contact your state's senators in Washington D.C: www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Click here to connect to your Representative in the House: www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml


May it be said of us, your body - that we awoke to the multiple cries of a world rapidly headed toward destruction. May we fight - ruthlessly - for those that have not the strength to raise their own voices, having been silenced by oppression and corruptness.

May it be for me God - that I do not shy away from that which challenges my personal comforts, but choose to lay at your precious feet, the gift of surrender and an unwavering, uncompromising heart, bent toward that which your heart bleeds for.

May we all find ourselves, in a unique and personal capacity, setting our hands, feet and hearts to causes of liberation and freedom!


Maria at 11:39 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home